Praxis I & II(PPST)
What is Praxis I?
The Praxis I, also referred to as the Pre-Professional Skills Test (PPST), is an academic skills test required by Northern Marianas College, School of Education, as a pre-requisite to registration into 300-500 level SOE courses. Also , it is a required test to all Public School System Principals, Vice Principals, Teachers and Counselors.
The Praxis I consists of three tests: PPST Reading, PPST Writing and PPST
Mathematics. The Reading and Mathematics tests consist of 40 multiple choice
questions each and are combined into one session, Session 1, and take about
an hour each to complete. The Writing test, which takes about one hour to
complete, consists of 45 multiple choice questions and one essay and is offered
on Session 2.
NMC has set the qualifying/passing scores below:
- Reading 160
- Mathematics 162
- Writing 161
NOTE: PSS MAY SET A DIFFERENT QUALIFYING/PASSING SCORE. PLEASE CHECK WITH PSS
HUMAN RESOURCE OFFICE FOR MORE INFORMATION ON SCORE REQUIREMENTS OR CHECK CAREER SERVICES DEPARTMENT ON THE QUALIFYING PASSING SCORE FOR PSS.
How to Register
You have only one option to register for the Praxis I:
- MAIL: Pick up the Praxis Registration and Information Bulletin at the Career Center, Building I, at NMC Saipan anytime from Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The registration form is inside the bulletin. Please be sure to include your payment with your registration form and mail it in the enclosed, preaddressed return envelope.
For general inquiries contact 1800-772-9476.
Primary Language is Not English (PLNE)
If English is not your first language, you may register PLNE (Primary
Language Not English). PLNE examinees are given 50% extended time. Please
note that if you do not register PLNE in advance, you may not be given extended
time, even if you are not a native speaker of English. Standby or "walk-in" registration
is not permitted for PLNE accommodations. There are additional forms that
must be turned in together with your registration form if you wish to be
given extended time:
- A completed Certification of Documentation form. Further verification
may be requested of the certifying professional's credentials. An embossed
school seal must be affixed over the signature on the form, or the signature
- A completed Eligibility Form for Examinees Whose Primary Language
is Not English. This form is required for every PLNE accommodations.
The forms must be mailed together with the registration form. Therefore,
extended time will not be granted when registering online.
What to Bring to the Test Center
- Your admission ticket
- Your valid identification
- Two soft lead #2 pencils
- Blue or Black Pen
Important Test Center Information
- Test Center Name: Northern Marianas College
- Test Center Number: 05118
- Score Recipient Code (FOR NMC-SOE ONLY):1040
Tests are administered in Building A or D. Signs are posted on the day
of the test. For more information, visit the official Praxis website
or call/email Lynnette Castro,
Testing Coordinator/Supervisor at the Career Center, NMC Saipan, at 234-5498
Note to PSS examinees: Leave the "score recipient code" section
blank as PSS has no recipient code yet.
A limited number of fee waivers are available for enrolled undergraduate or graduate students who meet eligibility requireme
TO BE ELIGIBLE:
- You must be receiving financial aid (e.g. Federal Pell Grants).
- You must be an enrolled undergraduate (Federal Pell grant) or graduate student (you are ineligible
if you have a master's or a doctorate)
- You must meet the income guidelines (see Fee
- The registered test must be required by an authorized score recipient
To be considered for a fee waiver, submit a completed "Fee
Waiver Request" form and registration form by the appropriate
Praxis I Preparatory Workshops
This workshop is designed to introduce educators to the new test format,
help them understand the test and prepare them for the challenges they will
face. Workshop dates are scheduled & coordinated by CDI office. Please
email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 234-5498, ext. 1005 or 1030.